Pet care is important to all pet owners. We feed our furry loved ones a nutritious diet, provide plenty of exercise, fresh water and treats. However, there is a topic on pet care that doesn’t get talked about enough: pet poisoning. March is Pet Poison Prevention Month. Here at Content Critter, we want to bring awareness to this topic. Many pet owners may not even know dangers are lurking around their homes right now! Keep reading for more information.
What is Pet Poisoning?
Exposure to a toxin that is not fit for consumption is considered a poison. There are many things that your dog or cat can get into that aren’t good for them. From your general household items to seasonal toxins, staying on alert is crucial to maintaining your pets’ health.
Signs and Symptoms of Pet Poison
Knowing what signs to look for will allow you to act as quickly as possible. You can always call the pet poison helpline for assistance when in doubt. For a small fee, you can receive live assistance and advice. Right off the bat, if you notice any of the following signs in your pet, call the helpline, or go to your nearest animal hospital:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Appearing unbalanced on their feet
- Kidney failure
- Pale Gums
- Inability to Urinate
These are the most common signs you will see in your pets. There is potential for other symptoms to appear if you do not act fast enough.
What Can Be Poisonous For Pets?
Going the extra mile to ensure our pets stay protected can mean the difference between life and death. Taking the time to dog-proof your house is critical in preventing any accidents from happening. Here are some common toxins to your pets both inside your home and in the environment:
Indoor and Outdoor Plants
There will be no shortage of plants in everyone’s gardens this Spring, but they can also pose a threat to your canine and feline friends. Whether these plants are outdoors or right inside of your home, please take note of the following list so you can keep your garden pet friendly this year:
- Aloe vera
- Stinging Nettle
- Sago Palm
- Rhododendron and Azalea
- Peace Lily
- Mountain Laurel
- Mother-in-Law Tongue
- Gloriosa Lily
- Hyacinth and Tulip
- Daylily and True Lily
- Almond, cherry, peach, apricot, and plum trees
- Rhubarb leaves
Whether they are over-the-counter medications or prescription medications, neither are good for your cat or dog. This can include things like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cough syrup etc. Chewable vitamins are also toxic to your pet. If you want to provide your pet with extra vitamins and minerals, you can choose from plenty of options. You can visit your local pet supply store to see what’s in stock or ask your veterinarian for options.
Most (if not all) human foods are toxic to dogs and cats. Their digestive systems do not work the same way ours do. Feeding them something meant for humans can lead to serious trouble. The most common toxic human foods that all pet owners should know about are: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, and chocolate. Pet foods are formulated specifically to provide essential vitamins and nutrients to your pet. They aren’t missing out on anything by not eating human food!
Cleaning supplies, paint, antifreeze, and other chemicals used around the house are not good for your pets. Think about it: you mop your floor with a floor cleaner, your dog walks on the floor and will likely lick their paws to get the substance off of them. They can easily ingest this and wind up getting sick. If you need to do some major spring cleaning this season, ask a friend to watch your dog for the day. Alternatively, we can board your dog for one night here at Content Critter if that’s all you need!
Lawn Care Substances
Spring has officially sprung, and once the snow melts, it will be time to take care of the front lawn and make sure your grass is extra green this year! Your dog is likely used to doing their business on the front lawn. However, walking around on lawn care products can pose a danger to their health.
What You Should do if Your Pet is Poisoned
If the accident happens during your veterinarian’s opening hours, it would be best to go to them right away. If you cannot get in touch with your vet, you can start by calling the pet poison hotline and following their advice. The severity of poisoning depends on how much of a toxin was ingested by your pet. If your dog ate a small amount of chocolate, your vet might induce vomiting in your pet to get the toxin out of their stomachs. Not all signs and symptoms will appear right away. If your dog seems to be okay, but you know they ate something they shouldn’t, your vet may advise you to give your pet hydrogen peroxide to help them vomit whatever is in their stomachs. Do not do this unless a pet care professional recommends it to you.
Dog Walkers & Pet Sitters in Newark, Hockessin, Greenville, Wilmington, Bear and New Castle, DE – Landenberg, Avondale and Kennett Square, PA and parts of Elkton, MD.